Hello everybody, welcome to my recipe page, If you’re looking for recipes idea to cook today, look no further! We provide you only the best Chicken and Sausage Gumbo (as taught to me by my FRENCH CAJUN grandma!) recipe here. We also have wide variety of recipes to try.
Before you jump to Chicken and Sausage Gumbo (as taught to me by my FRENCH CAJUN grandma!) recipe, you may want to read this short interesting healthy tips about Make Healthy Eating A Part of Your Life.
The benefits of healthy eating are nowadays being given more attention than ever before and there are a number of reasons for this. Poor diet is a leading factor in illnesses such as heart disease and hypertension which can put a drain on the economy. Although we’re always being advised to follow healthy eating habits, it is also easier than ever to rely on fast food and other convenience items that are not healthy for us. People typically believe that healthy diets require a great deal of work and will significantly alter the way they live and eat. Contrary to that information, people can modify their eating habits for the better by making a few modest changes.
One initial thing you can do is to pay close attention to the choices you make when you’re at the grocery as you probably buy a lot of food items out of habit. For instance, if you have cereal for breakfast, do you ever look to see what the sugar and salt content is before buying? A superb healthy alternative can be porridge oats which have been shown to be beneficial for your heart and can give you good sustainable energy daily. By adding fresh fruit, you can give your oatmeal a better flavor and, before you know it, you will have made a healthy change to your diet.
Evidently, it’s easy to start integrating healthy eating into your daily lifestyle.
We hope you got benefit from reading it, now let’s go back to chicken and sausage gumbo (as taught to me by my french cajun grandma!) recipe. You can cook chicken and sausage gumbo (as taught to me by my french cajun grandma!) using 10 ingredients and 14 steps. Here is how you do it.
The ingredients needed to make Chicken and Sausage Gumbo (as taught to me by my FRENCH CAJUN grandma!):
- Provide 1/4 cup of all-purpose flour.
- Provide 1/4 cup of vegetable oil.
- Prepare 3 stalks of celery.
- Get 1 of green bell pepper.
- Get 1 of onion.
- Provide 2 lb of White meat chicken.
- Take 1 packages of smoked sausage.
- You need of salt.
- You need of pepper.
- Take 4 cup of water.
Instructions to make Chicken and Sausage Gumbo (as taught to me by my FRENCH CAJUN grandma!):
- Boil chicken in water until cooked..
- Remove chicken. Save broth from chicken..
- Pull chicken apart into shredded pieces or chunks removing any fat or tendons. Set aside..
- Dice vegetables. Set aside..
- Chop sausage. Set aside..
- In large pot pour in vegetable oil. Heat on medium heat for about 2 minutes..
- Pour flour in with oil and stir. You may need to add a bit more flour. You want it to have the consistency of a thin paste..
- Constantly stir scraping bottom of pot. Do this until roux is very dark. About the color of brown gravy but darker. The stirring and scraping are very important. If you let it sit too long you'll burn the roux..
- Once roux is darkened add your vegetables. Stirring constantly for 2 to 3 minutes..
- Pour broth from chicken into pot. The roux will look like it's not mixing. Don't worry. As you cook it it will mix in evenly..
- Add chicken and sausage. Add more water if needed to cover all ingredients plus some (real Gumbo is thin and watery, not thick). Probably another 2 or 3 cups..
- Cook for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Stirring occasionally..
- Serve over rice..
- Season to taste..
If you find this Chicken and Sausage Gumbo (as taught to me by my FRENCH CAJUN grandma!) recipe useful please share it to your good friends or family, thank you and good luck.