Hello everybody, welcome to my recipe page, If you’re looking for new recipes to try this weekend, look no further! We provide you only the perfect French Onion Skillet recipe here. We also have wide variety of recipes to try.
Before you jump to French Onion Skillet recipe, you may want to read this short interesting healthy tips about Make Healthy Eating A Part of Your Daily Life.
Healthy eating is nowadays a lot more popular than it used to be and rightfully so. There are a number of illnesses linked with a poor diet and there is a cost to the overall economy as individuals suffer from health problems such as heart disease and high blood pressure. While we’re constantly being counseled to adopt healthy eating habits, it is also easier than ever to rely on fast food and other convenience items that are not healthy for us. It is likely that many people believe it will take so much effort to eat a healthy diet or that they have to make a large scale change to how they live. It is possible, though, to make a few small changes that can start to make a positive impact to our day-to-day eating habits.
These changes are easy to accomplish with all types of foods and can apply to the oils you cook in and the spread you put on bread. Olive oil contains monounsaturated fat which can help to reduce bad cholesterol. It is also a good source of Vitamin E which has a lot of benefits and is also great for your skin. Although you may already eat lots of fruits and leafy greens, you may want to consider how fresh they are. If at all possible, go for organic produce that has not been sprayed with deadly chemical substances. If you can locate a good local supplier of fresh fruit and vegetables, you can also ingest foods that have not lost their nutrients due to storage or not being harvested at the right time.
Therefore, it should be quite obvious that it’s not at all difficult to add healthy eating to your everyday life.
We hope you got insight from reading it, now let’s go back to french onion skillet recipe. To make french onion skillet you need 14 ingredients and 14 steps. Here is how you do it.
The ingredients needed to prepare French Onion Skillet:
- Prepare 2 Tbsp. of butter.
- Provide of Dense bread, cubed, enough to cover bottom of cast iron skillet.
- Use 1-2 cups of cubed, shredded, minced, sliced meat of your choice.
- Get 1 (10 1/2 oz.) of can French Onion soup.
- Take 6-8 oz. of Sour cream.
- Get 8 oz. of mozzarella cheese, shredded.
- Prepare of Optional:.
- Get of Mushrooms.
- Provide of Onions.
- Prepare of Thyme.
- Get of Substitions:.
- Take of Bread cubes can be substituted with boxed stuffing mixes.
- Get of Provolone or Swiss work as alternative cheese options.
- Take of Beef broth can sub for French onion soup.
Instructions to make French Onion Skillet:
- I pulled everything out of my fridge and pantry that needed to be used up TODAY. Then I tapped my foot with my hands on my hips, tilted my head and chewed on my lip, wrinkled my forehead and…. Well this is where I ended up…..
- Melt 2 Tbsp butter in an iron skillet, or an oven proof skillet. I use a skillet because I'm going to cook, stick in the fridge and reheat after my kids basketball game..
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cube bread into 1" or hearty bite sized pieces, needs to hold up during saucing process but not so big you need to cut it up later..
- Once butter has melted and just started to brown, throw in the bread, move around to cover the bottom of the skillet but do not toss it. You want an even layer of buttered, slightly fried bread. Remove from heat once bread has started to brown..
- Next, top with meat. I minced up some leftover steak in my food processor and sprinkled it all over. With the flavor combinations in this recipe, red meat definitely works best, but you do not have to mince the meat, just avoid large pieces that will require additional cutting at serving time..
- Then I pulled out some leftover canned mushrooms.. Sighed… I went to the store today, failed to buy some fresh fungi and this is what I'm left with. Which, as I took the picture I had the realization they may be the ugliest of the foods. Proceed to chop the mushrooms, continue to contemplate using a grocery list…. Sprinkle those ugly little pieces of yumminess on top the bread and steak skillet..
- In a bowl whisk 1 can French onion soup and 8 oz. of sour cream together. If you only have a partial container of sour cream, just add some milk or cream to make up the difference..
- Pour the sour cream mixture on top of the skillet meal you have assembled..
- Bake at 375 degrees for about 20 to 25 minutes..
- Shred 8 oz. of mozzarella or as much cheese as you want, or until your arm gets tired, or until you hit your knuckle on the cheese grater…. Probably works to tear open a package of shredded cheese too… I didn't buy any at the store today… Grocery lists people….
- Now decide how soon you're going to eat… If you are hungry go ahead and top the skillet with the cheese and pop it back in the oven for a couple minutes or let it sit covered while you pull together the rest of your meal. For me this is a make ahead meal, so I shredded my cheese on a piece of foil. Then I wrapped it up in a little pouch and threw it in the fridge with the cooled, prepared skillet. "Threw" may not be the appropriate verb here..
- Later….. I pull skillet out of fridge, top with cheese, cover with foil, and heat on the stove top over a medium low heat… While trying to get my kids to shower and put away their sports gear and I try to find my cork screw and wine (which strangely enough I remembered without a grocery list….) Hmmmm……
- Enjoy :).
If you find this French Onion Skillet recipe valuable please share it to your good friends or family, thank you and good luck.