Hello everybody, welcome to our recipe site, if you’re looking for Slow Cooker Southwestern Chicken Soup recipe, look no further! We provide you only the perfect Slow Cooker Southwestern Chicken Soup recipe here. We also have wide variety of recipes to try.
Before you jump to Slow Cooker Southwestern Chicken Soup recipe, you may want to read this short interesting healthy tips about Make Healthy Eating A Part of Your Life.
Choosing to eat healthily offers great benefits and is becoming a more popular way of living. Poor diet is one factor in health problems such as heart disease and hypertension which can place a drain on the economy. Although we’re incessantly being advised to stick with healthy eating habits, it is also easier than ever to rely on fast food and other convenience items that are not good for us. In all probability, a lot of people think that it takes a lot of work to eat healthily and that they will have to drastically change their way of life. Contrary to that information, people can alter their eating habits for the better by carrying out a few simple changes.
The first change you can make is to pay more attention to what you purchase when you go to the grocery as it is likely that you tend to pick up many of the things without thinking. For instance, if you have cereal for breakfast, do you ever stop to see what the sugar and salt content is before buying? One wholesome substitute that can give you a healthy start to your day is oatmeal. You don’t like eating oatmeal on its own, try adding fresh fruits that have other healthy nutrients and as such, one small change to your diet has been achieved.
Hence, it should be somewhat obvious that it’s not at all hard to add healthy eating to your life.
We hope you got benefit from reading it, now let’s go back to slow cooker southwestern chicken soup recipe. To make slow cooker southwestern chicken soup you only need 18 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you cook it.
The ingredients needed to cook Slow Cooker Southwestern Chicken Soup:
- Provide 3 pounds of bone-in chicken pieces (I like dark meat – more flavor. 🙂 ).
- Prepare 6 cups of water.
- Get 1 of small onion, cut into 1-inch pieces.
- Get 6 cloves of garlic, peeled and lightly crushed.
- Prepare 2 of medium carrots, cut into 1/2-inch thick pieces (I like to cut them big for slow cooking so they don't disintegrate and still retain some texture).
- Prepare 1 of medium bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces (I happened to use the Hatch chilies I roasted the other day, but they're seasonal and sometimes hard to come by even when they're in season).
- You need 1 of large stem celery, cut into 1/2-inch pieces.
- Get 1 (15 oz.) of can black beans, rinsed and drained (optional – I don't always care for beans in this soup – but add a 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt to the recipe if you add the beans).
- Provide 1/2 of a 15 oz. can of corn (or 1 cup frozen or fresh corn kernels).
- Get 1/2 of a 15 oz. can of tomatoes.
- Provide 1/2-1 teaspoon of cumin.
- You need 1-2 teaspoons of dried oregano.
- Get 2 of bay leaves.
- You need 3-3.5 teaspoons of kosher salt to start.
- You need 1-1.5 Tablespoons of fresh squeezed lime juice.
- Provide 1/4 cup of chopped cilantro (optional for the cilantro haters, of course).
- Get 1 teaspoon of fish sauce (optional, but recommended).
- Take of optional garnish: fried tortilla chips or strips, chopped fresh chilies, onions, cilantro, avocado, and lime wedges.
Instructions to make Slow Cooker Southwestern Chicken Soup:
- Dump all but garnish ingredients into your slow cooker and give it a few good stirs..
- Cook on low for 7 to 9 hours, or high for 5 to 7, depending on how hot your slow cooker gets..
- It's always nice if you can give the soup a few gentle stirs throughout the cooking process, but if you can't manage that because you're out of the house, then you can give it a stir and adjust the seasoning as necessary as soon as you get home. This will give the soup some time to more evenly and thoroughly absorb flavor before you sit down to enjoy it..
- I like it with a little steamed rice, some chopped onions and cilantro on top, a good extra squeeze of lime, and a few lashings of Tapatío. 🙂 Enjoy!.
If you find this Slow Cooker Southwestern Chicken Soup recipe useful please share it to your good friends or family, thank you and good luck.